February 19, 2011

ART RELISH: Stefan Kürten


I love the work of Stefan Kürten for many reasons. I discovered his work when I came across one of his monographs last year and have been hooked since. He is an artist based in both Düsseldorf, Germany and New York and I haven't yet had the chance to see his work in person (he shows at Alexander & Bonin every few years). I hope to see his work ASAP. I'll let you know if anything comes up in the U.S. because he's due for a show soon, here's hoping. Let me list the ways I relish:

+ The titles of Kürten's work are both mysterious yet strangely applicable/accessible/ touching

+ The muted color combinations

+ How the foreground and the background often meld together to form new shapes

+ The somewhat decorative/ kitschy approach to paint application, sometimes more noticeable in Beautiful People

+ The quietness of the work yet the not so obvious sense of mystery/disturbance

+ The lack of human presence and attention/ personification of the landscape and architecture



Illusion, 2007

Beautiful People, 2004

Power, Corruption, and Lies, 2009

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, 2009

Tomorrow Never Knows, 2009


What do you all think? You can check out more of Kürten's work at the links below.


VvV Amanda

1 comment:

Beth Shook said...

nice, amanda. thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...